Sunday, June 2, 2013

Back from a L-O-N-G hiatus

Well, it's that time of year again when the school year is coming to a close, and I once again have time for this project that is all but forgotten for 5/6 of the year...

AND, just like last summer, upon opening up this blog, I realize that I never posted one of the recipes I made, which was for El Salvador.  So, I will get that up once I locate the pictures I took and review the recipe to hopefully jolt back some memories.

Excuses time: My reasons for abandoning the project last summer were twofold.  One, I was nannying my nephew every weekday except Friday until about 4:30.  This made extensive cooking projects difficult, especially since I was out of town almost every weekend.  I'm not complaining.  I'd choose Johnny over cooking any day!  Unfortunately for me, but lucky for this project, nannying him this summer didn't work out due to daycare restraints.  I'm really bummed about it, but it leaves a lot more time for me this summer, which will hopefully be a good thing (I hope I don't go crazy with too much time to think!).  I am teaching summer school, but that's done at 10:30 every morning.  The second reason that the International Cooking Project didn't work out was because I split a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box with my sister and brother-in-law last summer.  This meant that I had more fresh, local vegetables, herbs and fruits than I knew what to do with!  I already ended up wasting a lot of that, and adding a recipe a week that didn't incorporate massive amounts of the CSA contents felt even more wasteful.  We're doing the CSA again, but with so much more open time this summer, I feel that I can do a lot more cooking and baking to make better use of the CSA contents and therefore open up room for one ICP recipe a week.  I may end up giving away some food... Zucchini bread, anyone?

ANYWAY, I'm back at it.  With a summer that is far less busy, I'm excited to get back at it again.  I will start this Thursday, June 6 with a fish recipe from Equatorial Guinea.  It's very Africa-y (which makes sense...), with a lot of habanero, tomato and peanut butter.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment