Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Denmark

Frikadeller, Kartofler and Danish Braised Cabbage

While I am publishing this on June 5, 2012, I actually made it sometime around August 24, 2011...

I made it to the D's (last August...)!

I have been remarkably remiss in my blogging.  Granted, I have not cooked an international cooking project meal since early September, but I also have not written the blogs for the last three meals I did cook.  But, I am back!  And tomorrow is the last day of school, so I plan to cook the summer away when I am not frolicking with my nephew.

Anyway...

I recall being extremely excited for the foods of Denmark.  Frikadeller are pork and veal meatballs.  These were quite delicious.  Kartofler are potatoes cooked in quite a bit of butter (1/2c.) and onion. They were lovely, albeit rich.  Danish braised cabbage is red cabbage braised in butter and red currant jelly.

I cannot remember much more than that.  I'm sorry.

Here are the recipes.

Frikadeller

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb. ground pork
-1 large onion, finely chopped
-2 T. flour
-1/2 lb. ground veal
-2 c. milk
-1 c. breadcrumbs
-black pepper
-1 egg
-salt

Directions:
1) Combine pork and veal.  Add flour, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
2) Drop on frying pan from a large tablespoon.  Fry over low heat.

3) Serve with browned butter, potatoes and stewed cabbage.

Kartofler

Ingredients:
-6 large potatoes
-1/2 c. butter
-1 large onion, sliced
-1 T. sugar
-1 T. vinegar
-1 tsp. salt
-dash white pepper

Directions:
1) Boil potatoes.  Cool, peel and slice 1/4" thick.
2) Melt butter in a frying pan.  Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add potatoes.  Sauté for 5 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
3) Add remaining ingredients and cook for 5 more minutes.



Danish Braised Cabbage

Ingredients:
-2 lb. red cabbage, shredded
-4 T. butter, cut into small pieces
-1 T. sugar
-1 tsp. salt
-1/3 c. water
-1/4 c. red currant jelly
-2 T. grated apple

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) In a heavy 4-5 qt. casserole, combine butter, sugar, salt, water and vinegar.
3) Bring to a boil on the stove; add cabbage and toss to coat well.
4) Bring to a boil, cover and place in oven.  Bake 2 hours, checking occasionally and adding water if needed.
5) Ten minutes before cooking is finished, stir in jelly and apple.  Replace cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment