Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cuba



Platillo Moros y Cristianos


I made this dish on Thursday, July 28, 2011 for Andy and me.  Platillo Moros y Cristianos translated to Moors and Christians Dish.  It is a black bean and rice dish; the black beans represent Moors and the white rice represents Christians.  This dish had the potential to be good, but even though I followed the recipe to a tee, I severely undercooked the beans, which caused a chalky texture.  It ended up going down the garbage disposal.  If I were to make this again, I would be sure the beans were done more before adding them to the rice or I would used canned black beans.














Ingredients:
- 1 lb. dried black beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 T. cumin
- 1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
- olive oil
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. long-grain white rice
- salt and pepper 












Directions:
1) Cover beans with water.  Bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and let stand one hour.  Drain.
2) Sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in olive oil until tender.
3) Add tomato paste, beans, cumin and chicken broth.
4) Add rice; cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until rice is fully cooked, about 30 minutes.
5) Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment