Friday, June 24, 2011

Republic of the Congo




Poulet Yassa

I made this dish on Thursday, June 23. In doing this project, I learned that there are two separate Congos: Democratic Republic of the the Congo and Republic of the Congo. I don't know what the difference is between the two, but I do know that they both have tasty national dishes!

The national dish of the Republic of the Congo is Poulet Yassa, which is a simple, but flavorful, chicken, vegetable and rice dish. The inclusion of a habanero pepper gives this dish just a hint of heat. The marinating of the chicken overnight made it really tender and flavorful. Poulet Yassa reminded me of some dish from my childhood, but I couldn't put my finger on what. Like all of the other recipes, I found this one online.

Poulet Yassa
















INGREDIENTS:
-1/2 c. peanut oil
-1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
-4 onions, chopped
-8 T. lemon juice
-8 T. cider vinegar
-1 bay leaf
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-2 T. Dijon mustard
-1-2 tsp. Maggi sauce (I used soy sauce because my Maggi sauce hasn't yet arrived from amazon.com)
-1 habanero, cleaned and finely chopped
-cayenne, pepper, salt
-1 small head of cabbage, cut into chunks
-a few carrots, cut into chunks

DIRECTIONS:
1) Mix all ingredients except cabbage and carrots in a glass dish. Allow chicken to marinate overnight. Remove chicken, save marinade.
2) Heat some peanut oil in a pan. Brown chicken.
3) While chicken is browning, remove onions from marinade and sauté them in a large saucepan for a few minutes. Add remaining marinade and vegetables. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce heat.











4) Add chicken, cover, and simmer until chicken is done, 30-40 minutes.










5) Serve with rice.







No comments:

Post a Comment