Friday, August 13, 2010

Cayman Islands


Cayman Style "Conch" Chowder

I made this dish on Thursday, August 12 for Andy and me. It was simple and fantastic! It tasted very much like clam chowder. I will most definitely make this one again. I had to make some substitutions from the original recipe because I couldn't find conch or fish stock. Also, we were out of nutmeg, so I had to leave that out. Below is the recipe as I made it.

Cayman Style Crab Chowder

Ingredients:
-2 T. butter
-1/2 leek, finely chopped
-1 carrot, finely diced
-1 onion, minced
-2 potatoes, peeled and diced
-5 cloves garlic, minced
-1 c. heavy cream
-2 c. vegetable stock (fish stock)
-2 c. water
-1/2 c. dry white wine
-1 lb. finely chopped lump crab (or conch or lobster)
-1/2 tsp. cornstarch, dissolved in a little cold water
-marjoram, cumin
-1 bay leaf
-salt, pepper(, nutmeg)
-(Tabasco)

Directions:
1) Heat butter. Sauté leeks, carrots, onion and garlic or 2-3 minutes, until softened, but not browned.
2) Add wine, cream, water and vegetable stock. Stir.
3) Add potatoes, crab and all seasonings. Stir.
4) Simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment