Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Botswana



Botswana Seswaai and Ugali

I made this meal on Wednesday, January 20 for Andy, his roommate Mully and myself. Seswaai (or seswaa), which translates to pounded meat, is the national dish of Botswana, and the recipe I used instructed me to serve it with ugali and gravy as well. The ugali recipe also said to serve it with gravy, so I just bought some jarred beef gravy.

We all really enjoyed this meal. Simmering the beef in water for 2 1/2 hours made it really tender. I was afraid that it would be difficult to pound it until it flaked, but the long cooking time made the meat just fall apart. The ugali looks like and has the consistency of mashed potatoes. It also was very good; I enjoyed it more than other cornmeal and water dishes I've made for other countries.

This dish was probably the simplest of any of the meals I have prepared thus far. And with this meal, I have officially made it farther into this project than I did the first time. Go me!

Seswaai


Ingredients:-2 lbs. beef chuck
-1 large onion, sliced or chopped
-pepper to taste
-enough water to cover all ingredients in a pot

Directions:
1) Add beef, onion and pepper to a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer for about 2 1/2 hours, or until soft.
2) Drain liquid, then pound the meat with a pestle (or whatever blunt kitchen tool you have around) until flaky.
3) Serve with ugali and gravy.


Ugali


Ingredients:
-2 1/4 c. white cornmeal
-4 c. water

Directions:
1) Bring water to a boil. Slowly pour in cornmeal.
2) Stir constantly and mash any lumps that form. Add cornmeal until mixture is thicker than mashed potatoes.
3) Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes.
4) Top with a pat of butter and keep warm.
5) Serve with gravy and seswaai.

No comments:

Post a Comment