Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Australia



Aussie Meat Pie

I made this dish over at Andy's house, and I forgot to bring my camera. So, I had his roommate Tony take a picture on his phone for me, so that is why the picture looks smaller and not as focused.

I made this dish on Wednesday, September 2 for Andy, his roommates Mike and Tony, his sister Jennifer, his friend Mully, Tony's fiancée Lindsay and me. It is ridiculously easy to prepare; essentially, you just mix simple ingredients (between Andy and me we had all of them except the pie crusts) all together in one bowl, plop in a pre-made pie crust and bake. It was really good too; it tasted like good meatloaf in a flaky crust.

This dish is the national dish of Australia. Recipes for it abound on the internet, and it was tough to pick one. I guess that Australians eat this all the time, usually for lunch. I don't know how they're not all extremely overweight. The dish is not low calorie or low fat, and doesn't have a lot of nutrients. But, it is good!

Here is the recipe, copied from the original:

Australian Meat Pie

Ingredients:
-2 lbs. ground beef (I used lean, and it was still really greasy)
-1 c. ketchup
-1 c. onion, chopped
-1 tsp. salt
-1 c. milk
-2/3 c. breadcrumbs (I used Italian style because that's what I had on hand)
-1 tsp. oregano, ground
-1/2 tsp. pepper
-2 T. Worcestershire sauce
-2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
-2 prepared pie shells, 8"

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Combine ground beef, ketchup, onion, salt, milk, breadcrumbs, oregano and pepper in a bowl. Mix well.
3) Divide mixture into 2 pie shells and bake for 45 minutes.
4) While pies are baking, mix together Worcestershire and cheese in another bowl.
5) After about 45 minutes, remove pies from oven.
6) Spread cheese mixture on top of pies.
7) Bake for 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment