Makaronia tou Fournou
(Pasta with minced meat in oven)
So, I'm not sure if this really counts as a country, but it was listed on the list of countries that I am using for this project. Anyway, according to wikipedia, along with Dhekelia, it is the UK-administered area on the island of Cyprus that partially comprises the Sovereign Base Areas military bases of the United Kingdom.
I made this meal on Wednesday, June 17 for Andy and myself. It was once again quite delectable, although it reminded us of glorified Hamburger Helper. Still, I believe that it is worth the effort.
Here is my modified/clarified version of the original recipe:
Akrotirian Makaronia tou Fournou
-1 lb. elbow macaroni
-1 large onion, finely chopped
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 lb. ground beef (I used 90% fat free)
-15 oz. can peeled tomatoes, chopped
-2 tsp. tomato paste
-2 bay leaves
-salt and pepper
-2 oz. margarine
-2 T. flour
-2 c. skim milk
-12 oz. extra sharp 12 year cheddar, grated
1) Sauté onions and garlic in a small amount of margarine or oil.
2) Add ground beef and brown.
3) Add peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, salt & pepper
4) Simmer for 45 minutes, until meat is tender and sauce is thickened.
5) After the meat has been simmering for about 35 minutes, cook the macaroni in salted water and drain.
6) Melt margarine in a small pan.
7) Stir in the flour until it forms a paste.
8) Add the milk in small increments, stirring continuously.
9) Pour in 3/4 of the cheese and stir until melted.
10) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
11) Grease a 13x9" pan. Place one third of the pasta followed by half of the tomato sauce and then half of the béchamel sauce. Layer the second third of the paste and second half of the tomato sauce. Layer on last third of pasta plus final layer of béchamel sauce. Add the remainder of the grated cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.